Notice – Application for BIIO Scholarship has been extended to Friday May 30th , 2020
Bermuda International Institute of Ophthalmology (BIIO) Scholarship
The Bermuda International Institute of Ophthalmology (BIIO) offers this annual scholarship in memory of the late Dr. Leonard Teye-Botchway to assist Bermudian students completing an undergraduate or post graduate degree in all fields of study that directly benefit healthcare delivery in Bermuda with preference given to vision care.
BIIO has dedicated its work to building an advanced clinical ophthalmic service, at the frontiers of innovation. It provides innovative ophthalmic care obviating the need for some Bermudians to travel overseas. It was the first to introduce multifocal lens implantation allowing patients to see both near and far, reducing or eliminating their dependence on glasses as well as Optical Coherence Tomography with new equipment and instrumentation for the investigation and diagnosis of severe, potentially blinding diseases such as glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. BIIO offers Age Related Macular Treatment, Cataract Surgery, Glaucoma and Refractive Errors Treatment and other ophthalmic services. It has existing relationships with Lahey Eye Clinic in Boston and Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia and hosts its consultants from time to time.
Dr. Teye-Botchway JP; (MB ChB; MBA FWACS; FRCS; FGCCS; DCEH, Postgrad Dip Cat & Ref Surgery) was passionate about the training of his staff and generally encouraged the training of Bermudians to acquire skills relevant to healthcare. He sponsored healthcare workers at KEMH and his practice to make sure that they continued to be certified and abreast with developments in their fields of work. This BIIO scholarship, given in honour of his legacy, is awarded with the aim of improving healthcare delivery in Bermuda.
Applicants must be Bermudian and meet all eligibility requirements to be considered. Amongst other things, they must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 (UK 2:2, IB 30), completed the first year of their undergraduate program or enrolled on a post graduate program. Their institution of study must be accredited.
- Applications must be submitted by Friday May 30th , 2020. Applications can be obtained by emailing Info@biio.bm or www.biio.bm.
- The Bermuda International Institute of Ophthalmology will invite all shortlisted applicants to interview with the BIIO selection committee.
- Applicants will be informed of the decisions not later than the 30 June 2020.
- Complete and submit the scholarship application form which includes writing an essay entitled ‘Improving Healthcare in Bermuda’
- Proof of Status
- Transcripts (most recent)
- Academic letter of recommendation
- Personal letter of recommendation
- Proof of enrollment an accredited college or University – Acceptance/offer letter if entering a postgraduate program.
DOWNLOAD : INSTRUCTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
DOWNLOAD: APPLICATION FORM